WHY USE ESSENTIAL OILS?
At Human Garage, we use essential oils every single day! We believe that essential oils and plant medicines are key to supporting your body’s wellness. Herbal oils influence the endocrine system, interacting with our innate chemistry to create a variety of effects. You can use single extracts or blends depending on what your needs are, and what goals you have in mind. Some essential oils are better suited for the female anatomy than others because of their hormonal influence. Today Human Garage is sharing the best essential oils for women and how to use them!
THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR WOMEN
Essential oils can ease the effects of PMS, menopause, endometriosis, PMDD, and general period discomfort when used properly. There are many options (and smells) to choose from!
- Lavender: This is my favorite oil! It activates the parasympathetic nervous system to promote a feeling of peace. It soothes the muscles and the mind & has a clean, floral smell.
- Clary Sage: Clary Sage is a popular essential oil for women because it balances our stress hormones during the menstrual phase. It’s great for PMS symptoms!
- Geranium: This oil regulates hormone production and is anti-inflammatory.
- Frankincense: This potent extract alleviates anxiety and inflammation. It’s also known in the skincare world to treat acne and rosacea.
- Rose: Rose EO soothes stress and menstrual cramps! It also promotes feelings of pleasure.
- Lemon: This oil is known to uplift, which is key for those dealing with unwanted mood swings.
- Sweet Orange: This oil has a stabilizing effect on the nervous system and induces energizing, bubbly feelings that can help combat PMS.
Human Garage recommends Moon Cycle by Essential Oil Wizardry for women interested in using EO to support their menstrual phase.
ESSENTIAL OILS TO AVOID DURING PREGNANCY
There are a few essential oils that pregnant women should AVOID! Please take into consideration that while essential oils can support your health, they may create an inhospitable environment for a developing baby. Here’s what to stay away from if you’re pregnant or hope to be soon:
- Clary Sage
HOW TO USE OILS
You can use oils in so many ways! Some people like adding a few drops to a diffuser to create immersive aromatherapy ambiance.
Another way to use EO is to rub a few drops in between your palms, and cup them around your nose while breathing deeply. This stimulates the olfactory system.
Essential oils can also be applied topically- just know that some need to be diluted first, especially if you have sensitive skin! My favorite way to use essential oils is by making them into perfume or infusing them into body butter.
DIY INFUSED BODY BUTTER
If you want to smell delicious AND keep your skin soft, this one is for you.
- 1/2 cup shea butter or cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sweet almond oil
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Melt the shea/cocoa butter, coconut oil, and sweet almond oil in a double boiler over low heat. Stir the mixture until it melts all the way down.
- Take the double boiler off of the burner and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 20 drops of your EO of choice and stir it up!
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and let it sit until it’s completely cool. It will take a firm, solid texture.
- Once the mix is solidified, whip it up using a hand mix or appliance until it becomes fluffy.
- Store the body butter in an airtight container in a cool, dry place & use as desired.
If you’re in the process of cleaning your environment and are struggling to part with your favorite body sprays and perfumes, this recipe will help ease the transition into organic living!
- 10 drops of essential oils
- 1/4 cup of carrier oil (sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, or fractionated coconut oil)
- 1 glass rollerball bottle
- Add 10 drops of your chosen essential oil(s) to the rollerball bottle.
- Fill the rollerball bottle to the top with carrier oil.
- Place the rollerball top onto the bottle and shake!
- Roll the perfume onto your wrists, neck, behind the ears and knees, and the crown of your head. Enjoy!